Saturday, November 22, 2008

posted by Sara at

Loner (2 cont)

This a story about racism I wrote when I was 14 years old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2 (continuation)

They had a hard time in the airport. We were required to open our entire luggage so security guards could search through them, even though they had been through the luggage X-ray twice. After that each member of my family was individually searched. They even searched me while I was dozing on the bench. My father had the hardest time as he was required to take his coat off, empty all his pockets and even take his shoes and socks off. Finally, the guards were convinced that we were free of whatever they were looking for and they let us go. None of the other passengers were treated in such a manner.

The security search caused us so much delay the rental cab my father ordered was nowhere in sight when we stepped out of the airport's arrival terminal. My father searched and searched for another taxi to take us to our new home but none were willing. However, after forty minutes of inquiring one of the drivers finally agreed but only if we payed extra.

That was all the insight I got, as my brother looked down at the grass deep in thought again. At that particular moment I did not understand why he was so upset. I guessed he was just ticked off because of the holdup the security guards caused. As the days passed in our new foreign "home", I slowly came to realize the real reason for why he was so upset.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home