Tuesday, November 18, 2008

posted by Sara at

Loner (1)

This a story about racism I wrote when I was 14 years old.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1



I woke up with a start and instantly groped for the alarm clock on my bedside table. I finally located it, switched it off and turned stiffly in bed to face my bedroom window. I pulled th pale green curtains apart, and a world enveloped in warm golden sunshine opened up before me. I yawned, stretched my body and sat on my bed, watching the birds chirp and bask in the warm glow. I watched a group of infants holding unto each other's hands with smling faces behind their supervising adult. The lollypop lady holds up the bright yellow stop sign for the cars to wait as the infants walk across the street. Everything outside looked so peaceful and perfect; too bad this wasn't how I felt inside me.

My name is Dana, and for the past few months life hasn't been good to me. It all started when we moved away from home to a foreign country. That was about a year ago. I'm twelve and my older brother, Hammed, is fifteen. My father is a surgical doctor. He deals with the removal of tumors and other alien bodies mostly around the abdomen area. My mother does not work, and spends most of her time with chores around the house.

Being a doctor, my Father wished to broaden his specalizing horizon, therefore choosing a universty in a foreign country as his fortress of education. My mother wasn't thrilled about moving away from our home. Then again, she wasn't keen either on the idea of spending the next three years of her life without my father. She relelnted in the end, but I'm pretty sure that deep down inside her she was glad that she hadn't conquered this argument. So naturally my brother and I just tagged along, since we were definatly not going to be left behind.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Phat'Hi said...

The vocab and timing of the story is astonishing for a 14 years old girl ! The intro sounds promising and I'm waiting for the other parts.

November 18, 2008 at 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home