Wednesday, November 19, 2008

posted by Sara at

Loner (2)

This a story about racism I wrote when I was 14 years old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2

I was so excited about the prospect of moving. I've never moved houses in my entire life, let alone countries. I tried to smuggle out all my belongings but my mother caught me red handed. I was given three large boxes to fill in with pretty much my life, and I made sure they were used up to their maximum capacity. The hardest thing of all was leaving my friends. I felt tears threatening to form in my eyes when we had to say farewell at our last get together. I really wished that my friends were like my belongings, and that I could pack them and take them wherever I desire with me.

Come flight day and all my unhappy thoughts were wiped clean out of my mind. I was practically brainwashed with excitement, It was a really long journey; in the range of eleven hours. I couldn't sleep due to all the butterflies that fluttered in my stomach. Eventually all the fluttering and queasy feelings must have drove me to exhaustion for I finally nodded off during the last hour of flight on my brother's shoulder.

I woke up the next morning to find myself in a strange little room. It was bare except for the bed I was lying on, a wardrobe and ugly brown curtains. I made a mental note of getting rid of the ugly curtains. I walked down the stairs and heared some voices down the hall at the bottom of the staircase. I found my family sitting around a square dinning table, having eggs and toast. I joined them and for a while we discussed how were to decorate the house. I then asked my father when was I due to start school. My brother and I were to attend our new school four days later. We would have to walk instead of being dropped off in a car. This was a shock to me as back home we were always dropped off and picked up from school with a car.

My father showed us the way to school in the afternoon. It was a short five mintues stroll, but we had to walk up a hill which was very tiring. By the time we reached the top we were huffing and puffing so badly we had to rest a little on the grass. I looked around and smiled. Everything was so green, unlike back home. There were snails everywhere! The creatures amazed me, for the only one I saw was a tiny midget when I was about six years old. The snails here were so big! I looked up at my brother to tell him this, but I stopped dead. He had his serious expression on and I knew better than to interrupt his chain of throughts. However, I mustered up the courage to do so this time, and thankfully didn't get a swear word for an answer. I asked what was bothering him so much, as everything felt perfect and good to me. Hammed filled me in on the details of the rest of our journey adter I've fallen asleep.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home