Tuesday, March 4, 2008

posted by Sara at

A cure for homesickness

Mini warning...the following is just a big load my lamentations. So yeah, stop reading if you don't wanna listen to the woes of some random girl.

I have no idea what the hell is wrong with me.

However, I have a really stong inkling though that all this buzzing and static that has been going on and off in my head over the past month is due to ... homesickness.

Well according to wikipedia the symptoms of homesickness "...may be emotional, cognitive, or physical. In extreme cases, physical health problems accompany the hallmark symptom of homesickness, which is preoccupying thoughts of home. Most people describe homesickness as a want or longing to be back home, continuously missing their parents, spouse, relatives, friends, mates and aspects of their familiar environments. People may describe their feelings as a deep sadnesss, depressionn, frustration, anger, or hopelessness."

Homesickness...I've never felt that before. Sure I did miss my family, home and Oman when I first came here. But I didn't cry in the airport when I said goodbye to them, I didn't even shed a tear when my Father gave me the last hug goodbye in the car before he left me here the first time (he came with me to make sure I settle down). I just got out of the car, waved goodbye one last time and went to my lecture. I've had many occasions throught my life where I lived away from my family or home for periods of time, so am pretty much used to this whole situation.

Despite all this, I seriously think am suffering from homesickness. Like a major bout of it. It has been a year and 18 days since the last time I've been home or seen my family, and it's really starting to take it's toll on me =\ I was watching a documentary yesterday about Balqees the Queen of Sheba and at one point they passed through Oman and I freaking burst into tears!! I was rather suprised at myself.

I've become so scatterbrained as well lately. I'm just all over the place lol. I lost my Student ID card in the first week (for goodness sake!). I'm late for all my apointments. I don't reply to text messages on my phone. I have managed to irritate three people today and burn my hand in a moment of absent mindedness on the oven ^_^

I don't feel motivated to study either. I just simply don't want to. This is really weird, coz I genuinely adore education and learning new stuff. All I really feel like doing these days is to either read my novels or listen to music.

The hardest thing about this whole situation is that I can't really explain it to anyone. I can't exaclty make someone understand what I mean when I go: "I can't study because of static in my mind". The usual reaction is either a head shake, a couple of rolling eyeballs, and talk about me having to take my head out of the clouds or some lecture close to the same meaning.

Lol ... I feel really helpless right now. This is so over my head, and I dont know how to heal the situation. A cure for homesickness, something to stop the buzzing and static. I'd so LOVE that right now.

On a lighter note, I grabbed this shot of me before heading out with some friends for dinner. I don't usually wear heals. Terrible balance due to flat feet. But I decided to dress up a bit and I liked what I saw.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger NiGhTFaCe said...

I was abroad for one year. I got the chance to fly back to Oman after something like six months. But, I didn't. Though even after the one year, I wasn't really excited about getting back home.



Okay now, I didn't need to see a larger version of that picture!

March 5, 2008 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thank you for the wonderful comment =)

March 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger NiGhTFaCe said...

Wonderful?! :S

March 7, 2008 at 6:09 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Nighty, You need to be taught the true meaning of sarcasm

March 7, 2008 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger NiGhTFaCe said...

You need to be taught when to use sarcasm ;)

March 10, 2008 at 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this comment is probably out of place, but I'm just going through the blog now.. and I like what I've read so far.

"I was watching a documentary yesterday about Balqees the Queen of Sheba and at one point they passed through Oman and I freaking burst into tears!! I was rather suprised at myself."

I'm sorry, but that was funny.


I guess the fact that you are aware of what it is that might be affecting you, and preoccupying your mind and time with it means that it will inevitably take it's toll on you.

I say you should convince yourself otherwise.

March 16, 2008 at 6:11 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

And so I have!! Yay! =D

*does superman flying whooshing noises while running around the room*

March 16, 2008 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home