Wednesday, February 4, 2009

posted by Sara at

Loner (4)

Note: this post is espically written for one of my blog readers =P

Oh blog reader, forgive me for keeping you on a cliff hanger for so long xD

This a story about racism I wrote when I was 14 years old.

Previous Chapters:

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 2 - cont

Chapter 3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4


Mr. Carter opened this door slowly, for there was little noise coming from inside the classroom. He called out for the teacher to join us in the corridor . I tried to smooth down my clothes and hair so that I'd look presentable but it seems thatI had lost control of my arm at that point of time, for all I ended up doing was giving myself a sharp smack on the thigh.

The teacher also beckoned me into class the same way Hammed's teacher did. However, my mother got a hold of me first. She grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me around to face her. She looked deeply into my eyes, gave me a strong hug and a kiss on my cheek, finally releasing me. My father patted me on the head and wished me good luck.

The teacher called out my name this time as she beckoned me to her once more. She was much younger than Hammed's teacher. Her features were delicate, her smile really gentle. She reminded me of the fair maidens often mentioned in children's nursery rhymes and fairy tales. She put her hand on my shoulder and gave it a little squeeze.

I looked back, wanting to catch a last glance of my parents, but Mr.Carter was standing in the doorway's frame blocking the whole view. He was speaking to the students; something about welcoming new students and making them feel at home.

STUDENTS!

I turned my head jerkily towards the entire classroom. Eyes were all on me, everywhere I looked. I heard someone whisper "black" but I wasn't paying much attention to actually realize what they meant. I remember thinking they were probably referring to my clothes, as I wasn't wearing the school's uniform.

The teacher told me to sit at a desk located at the front of the class. She informed me that her name is Mrs. Mills, followed by her introducing me to the students, telling them my name and where I come from . She then asked the students to introduce themselves individually to me. Many of the girls smiled shyly as they told me their names and I smiled back at them. Corrine, the girl who was sitting next to me in class, got asked by Mrs.Mills to show me where to hang my coat and bag. Corrine was a very pretty girl, with fair skin, light hazel eyes and a long sheet of auburn hair. I followed her to the corridor outside the classroom and she showed me where all the lockers were. She gave me a key and the combination number to one of the lockers ( I suppose she got given these earlier by Mrs. Mills). Finally, Corrine showed me where the toilets were and informed me the school's break timings.

We walked back into the classroom, and I felt myself turn hot in the face due the noise level subsiding distinctively as soon as I entered the class. I seated myself at my desk and concentrated on checking wether my nails were neatly trimmed or not.

Mrs. Mills told me that for three quarters of an hour every morning, the class has"Quiet Moment" where students are to read any book they chose. I loved the idea because I love reading. I have my own personal collection of books stacked on the shelf above my bed, and every night before my bedtime I'd read for an hour. I felt this relaxed me, and I end up with a good night's sleep.

I didn't have a book with me at that moment, so Mrs. Mills told me that I could choose a book from the class' small library in the corner. There were many colorful titles to choose from, but my eyes dropped on a particular book called "Kiss the Dust".

It's written by Elizabeth Laird and told the story of a thirteen-year-old Kurdish girl names Tara, along with her family, as they struffle to stay alive and together in a time ravaged by war. In the opening, Tara and her best friend Leila are walking back from school when suddenly two army Jeeps appear. Their horns blaring, the two Jeeps screech to a halt infront of a mosque. There are boys standing infront of the mosque, one of them holding a paper. An officer grabs the paper, tears it, then gets ready to shoot at the young boy who was holding it. Suddenly, an old mullah runs out of the mosque waving his arms and pleading with the officer not to shoot at the boys. The officer fumbles with the revolver, points it at the old man and shoots. The young boy tries to escape, but was not fast enough. A soldier stuck his foot out and tripped the young boy, and shoots him as he lay face down on the ground. Tara and Leila watched all this happen right before their eyes, hardly believeing what they saw.

The street with all the shocked peeople, the dead old mullah, the dead young boy, Tara and Leila suddenly melted into the classroom as I heared the voice of Mrs. Mills break in. She announced that "Quiet Moment" was over. The bell rang and we had English for the first period with Mrs. Mills.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Phat'Hi said...

The thought that a kid wrote this is rather amusing yet I find more interesting that english people have books about islamic war in their classrooms. Myabe its a way to grow a peaceful heart later when kids grow.

February 5, 2009 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hehe, they really do =P

Loner is loosely based on me (but I never experienced any racists attitude at that age thank goodness) On my first day of school in England when I was 11 years old the teacher told me to pick one book from the class's library, and I picked Kiss the Dust. I remember finishing the book in a month, it really enthraled me. Horribly fascinating story. So yeah, they do have books about Muslim Wars =P

February 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

haha yayy! thank you soo much :D

if this is the way you wrote when you were fourteen I can’t imagine how even much more brilliant it would be if you were to write another now!
it was really an interesting read
hehe you should work on a novel. -maybe it’ll be turned into a movie too or you can design characters for an animation or make a claymation out of it and even provide the voice for one of the characters hehehe
phat can play an evil villain grr. or something Kirby like =p if there was such a creature hahaha
you guys are so much fun seriously – I love ur imaginative minds (and pretty hearts =p)
allah ye5alikom wo ye7fathkom
keep up the great posts ^^

February 6, 2009 at 4:59 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ameen ya raab jamee3an =)

Thank you so much hun *hugs* we truley appreciate your comments and feedback coz wallah it lights up our day (I am guessing it light's up Phat's day lol)

I was amazed myself when I came across Loner 2 months ago and read it, I totally forgot I wrote it xD I think my english has kinda become retarded since then ._. bss inshallah 5air, I loved all the ideas you suggested and who knows what the future has install for us =)

February 6, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Phat'Hi said...

I want to be the rapist !

February 6, 2009 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

NO PHATTY!

Polar bear inta .. chup no arguments!

February 6, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home