Monday, January 19, 2009

posted by Sara at

Maseera!

Oman is the champion of the 19th Gulf Cup. For the first time in it's history, and after reaching the finals for the third time in a row, the Omani team finally managed to keep a hold of it's nerves and WIN! =D

Oh the last few moments were so incredibly tense. Both Oman and KSA, the team that qualified to the final as well, didnt manage to score in the normal time and golden time of the match. Oman managed to attack KSA more, some attacks were really dangerous, but no goals were scored.

So it went down to penalties. Everytime Oman would score a penalty, a huge feeling of relief would go through my body, until KSA scores a penalty as well xD This kept going 5 times, until the 6th time, when KSA DID NOT SCORE!

That's when the whole of Oman was literally breathing with one breath, hearts beating with one pulse. The Omani captain picked up the ball and calmly walked unto the pitch and towards the goal post. If he scores, it will be history in the making. If he misses, he will have the guilt of letting the Gulf Cup slip from Oman for a third time in a row.

My two aunts, my sister and I were in the living room of my uncle's house. My mother and two uncles were watching the match in garden's tv screen. I covered my eyes, not being able to handle the pressure. But then I uncovered them, saw the Omani team captain kick the ball, and it was a goal!

I suddenly found myself screaming at the top of my lungs and jumping all around the room. I could hear other people screaming, many other people screaming, but I didnt know who it was, coz I was so HAPPY, although I did notice my uncle's cat pouncing off the couch and running out of the room at super fast speed xD! I just kept screaming "WE WON WE WON!! WE DID IT!!"

I then realized what I was doing and collapsed into the chair behind me, laughing and at the same time trying real hard not to cry from happiness. I looked around the room, coz everyone else was still screaming and jumping around. I heared my baby sister crying in the garden. Turns out all of us screaming, including my mother out in the garden, terrified her. It took a while to calm her down xD

We could hear noises from houses in the neighbourhood, fireworks and yells of victory. We watched the boys recieve their medals and the Gulf Cup on TV, and it was incredible, they really deserve it after all their hard work!

After the ceremony, we started hearing the cars outside. People were going out for the maseera (kind of like a parade but not exactly). We all got into two cars and left the house at 10pm, in order to check out the celebrations in the street. Got home at 2 am xD It was AWESOME!!

The following are some photos I took during the maseera. I didnt take many photos coz I was too busy watching all the people dance and scream and celebrate lol. Even the foreigners joined in the fun! Sorry about the quality, am not good with night shots =(


All Ready for the Maseera

All Ready for the Maseera

Monster Grooves


We stopped at the petrol station to fill up incase we get stuck in traffic and found these guys =P

Dancing at Maha Petrol Station


POSE!!

Pose!

Peace


I missed the shot of the cute little kid next to the guy in the blue shirt while waving at us =( But at least I got this shot ^_^

Adorable little kid


A huge crowd of old ladies standing on the side of the street holding the Omani
flag up

Ladies holding the flag up


People performing the Omani Lewa dance in celebration of the win




Monster Fan

Monster Fan


Huge teddy bear wearing the Oman team t-shirt. The guy saw me trying to grab a photo of the teddy bear and reversed his car in order for me to get a better shot ^_^ This is the best photo out of the bunch lol

TEDDY BEAR FAN!


We are the champions!

We are the champions!


Dancing on the street

Dancing on the street

More Dancing on the Street


Pimped up ride

Pimped out ride


The Omani guy suddenly grabbed the Pakastani dude and started yelling "OMAN NAFR WA7ED!" and both posed for a photo lol. (note: the logo of the Omani team this Gulf Cup was "Oman nabth wa7d" which means "Oman one pulse". It somehow got morphed into "Oman nafr wa7d" which means "Oman one person". People who usually use the word "nafr" to refer to a person are Pakastani's and indians who can speak arabic)


Oman nafr wa7d!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ayna said...

Awesome shots! Adorable kids

January 20, 2009 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thank you ^_^

January 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home